Thursday, November 6, 2008

We have a new President!

Election Year 2008 turned out to be an historic year. We Americans elected ourselves our first African-American President. It was an amazing night to watch history in the making. At 11pm the news announced that Barack Obama won the 270 Electoral Votes necessary to win the office. Shortly there after Senator John McCain came out to make his concession speech. He did an outstanding job speaking and trying to rally his staunch supporters to back the new President-Elect.

Then Barack Obama came out to Grants Field, IL. He gave a moving speech. I'm sure it will be remembered as the "Yes we can" speech. Its wonderful to once again listen to a President that, when he talks, pulls you in. He is an eloquent speaker. I listened to his speech again online the next day.

People around the United States poured onto the streets to celebrate. Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, Asians......Americans. It was like watching New Year's celebrations, but this was for an election. I've never seen the likes of it before. And the most wonderful part was every single celebration was peaceful.

I wanted the kids to one day see that they were apart of American History. One day they will look back at pictures of them as very young children and wonder why it was such a big deal that we elected a black man to President or that a woman almost became Vice President. I wonder what their challenges will be and what they will consider historic? But until that time here are the pictures that I will put away until they are older.
Noah "Humm, I can do this too."




2 comments:

Little Miss Maia said...

What a great idea to take those pictures!

Amanda said...

wendy, i love the pictures of the kids in front of the TV! our kids are so lucky. and im so happy that youre blogging again! i love reading about what little regan is up to, and how she is spreading her cuteness all over the country. xoxo